The big guns enter the Scottish Cup this weekend and Aberdeen face a proverbial banana skin against Clyde tonight.
The Dons were dumped out of the cup at this stage last season by sixth-tier Darvel in one of the competition’s biggest upsets, a match which accelerated boss Jim Goodwin’s departure from the club. His replacement, Barry Robson, has also come under pressure this season with just six wins in 18 league games – three of those coming in the last four.
Clyde’s well-traveled boss Ian McCall actually signed Robson fro Dundee United many moons ago but would swap a win over his former player for League Two survival.
The Bully Wee are bottom of the pile and in danger of dropping out of the SPFL and although results have improved of late they don’t look likely to pull off a Darvel-esque upset.
Barry Robson will be well aware of the consequences of a defeat tonight and will no doubt go as strong as possible with his line-up. It might not be pretty but the Dons should get the job done although they’re too short to be backing at just 1/6.
The 10/11 on an Aberdeen win to nil makes much more appeal. They should limit Clyde to few chances and indeed the League Two side are as big as 5/6 to score but this looks like it could be a hard-fought one or two-nil win for the top flight side.
Michael Beale has had a mixed start to his tenure as Sunderland boss. League form reads LWDWL plus there was that 3-0 derby defeat to Newcastle.
There’s little between themselves and tonight’s opponents Hull City, just one point in fact, and the Black Cats were victors when the two sides met on Boxing Day.
The Tigers have won just one of their last seven and exited the FA Cup in a midweek replay defeat to Birmingham.
Six of the last eight meetings between the clubs have finished and that might be a result that suits both sides at 13/5 but we’re backing Sunderland to edge this one at 10/11 largely due to the visitors lengthy absentee list in the striking department which leaves them short on attacking option.
Upcoming Match Previews & Tips
- Weekend Football: Thrills and Strategies Across Europe's Lesser-Known Leagues
- Football Bet of the Day: Dutch Delight For Goal-Backers in Tilburg on Friday
- Friday’s Goals Accumulator Tips: Today’s 7/2 Both Teams to Score & Total Team Goals Acca
- Fri 19:45 Clyde vs Aberdeen
- Fri 20:00 Sunderland vs Hull City
- Sat 12:15 The Spartans vs Heart of Midlothian
- Sat 12:30 Arsenal vs Crystal Palace
- Sat 12:30 Swansea City vs Southampton
- Sat 17:30 Dumbarton vs Rangers
- Sat 17:30 RB Leipzig vs Bayer Leverkusen
- Sat 19:45 Udinese vs AC Milan
- Sun 14:00 Sheffield United vs West Ham United
- Sun 16:00 Celtic vs Buckie Thistle
- Sun 16:30 Bournemouth vs Liverpool
- Sun 17:30 Brentford vs Nottingham Forest
It’s the first Rolex event on the DP World Tour calendar with this week's Dubai Desert Classic at Emirates Golf Club, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Rizzel had a winner on Thursday, advised at 7/2 but won at a drifted price of 13/2. For Friday's racing he heads to Meydan for one runner and has a further two at Wolverhampton.
As always, post your betting tips for today in the comments section below.