TWO from three wasn't quite enough to secure a profit last week but because we had doubles covered there was no major damage done. Goalfests at Wycombe and Crawley arrived as predicted but Mansfield drew were one short to deny us the full house.
On to this week.
I've deliberated over a lot of potential bets this weekend and if you've already caught my Gambla Betting Podcast with Greg you'll know I've opted for goals for Ipswich and goals galore at Lincoln…
Ipswich to Score 2+
The Tractor Boys will be desperate for a quick return to the Championship and given the size and quality of their squad they shouldn't have many excuses for not bouncing straight back up.
They sit top of the pile after five games, courtesy of goal difference, largely gained in last week's 5-0 win over troubled Bolton. That win took them to 11 goals for the campaign, and helped them clim to the top of the shots-on-target table in League One.
There's no doubt the victory over Bolton has skewed the stats but you can only beat what's in front of you right?
Shrewsbury are handily placed in 9th but they've only score in one of their last five matches. Although they've been tight at the back, they'll slip down this league quickly if they can't find their way to goal.
I expect Ipswich will win most games at Portman Road and will no doubt enjoy the lions share of possession here so chances should present themselves for them to notch a couple of goals. Dangermen Norwood and Jackson will pose a threat and I'm backing Ipswich to score two or more. It was even money earlier in the week but is now 10/11.
Lincoln v Fleetwood – Over 2.5 Goals
Both sides here are among the highest in League One with 10 goals apiece after five games.
They've both got a great record of scoring in games. Fleetwood have only failed to score in one their six matches, and that was a League Cup match at Championship side Nottingham Forest.
Paddy Madden will be a familiar name to avid Soccer Saturday watchers and he's made a cracking start to the season with Fleetwood, scoring four in the opening six games. It's pretty obvious but backing teams with prolific goalscorers is always a good ploy.
Home side Lincoln were hugely impressive in midweek at home to Everton. Only two late goals from the Premier League side prevented them from taking the tie to extra-time, eventually bowing out 4-2. I'm never sure whether performances like these are good for morale or do they just sap the energy?
Either way, it was the sixth consecutive game that Lincoln have netted and all going to form we should see goals at Sincil Bank. Over 2.5 goals is evens at Bet365.
Ones to watch
As I mentioned earlier I had a long shortlist this weekend and the other contenders included
- West Ham v Norwich – Norwich games will see plenty of goals this season and they've already proven more than capable of scoring on the road. Should be over 2.5 goals but too short at 1/2.
- Wimbledon v Wycombe – Wycombe delivered goals for us last week and can do so again at Wimbledon. Only Ipswich have managed more shots on target than them and over 1.5 Wycombe goals would be the bet here.
- Luton v Huddersfield – The Hatters look comfortable at this level and welcome managerless and directionless Huddersfield. The Terriers. They're without a win in five and won't find things easy at Kenilworth Road. Luton over 1.5 goals the bet.
- Salford v Leyton Orient – The two promoted teams meet in League Two and big-spending Salford should be good enough to claim the three points. They have ambitions of another pormotion and need to be winning games such as this at home. They beat Leyton Orient 3-0 last season and should be good for a couple of goals again.
- Ipswich to Score 2+ 10/11
- Lincoln v Fleetwood – Over 2.5 Goals 1/1
- Salford to Score 2+ 1/1
- 1pt Trixie (1pt Treble, 3 x 1pt Doubles) = 4pts pays 19.27 at Bet365