IT'S the moment we've all been waiting for (well, I know I have anyway) as the Scottish Reserve League season kicks off and regulars will know it's one of my favourite and most profitable leagues, especially for goals.
It was devastating to hear a number of clubs had withdrawn from the SPFL Reserve League, especially last season's goals favourites Hibs and Rangers, however, we still have a 10 team league that includes goal machines Ross County and Dundee United.
The clubs who have withdrawn have chosen to send out their younger players out on loan rather than have a team to play in the Reserve League.
We also have a nine-team SPFL Reserve League Two that contains nine lower-league sides including Airdrie who'll be favourites most weeks and for some reason Livingston play in this league and not the other one.
Here's a quick guide:
- SPFL Reserve League matches KO 2pm on Monday / Tuesday
- SPFL Reserve League Two matches KO 7.45pm Monday / Tuesday
Format / Players:
- Teams will play each other twice over the course of the season
- Teams can play as many first-team players as they like – no restrictions
- Goals Goals Goals – will be in the top echelons in Europe for goals with a high percentage of over 3.5 match goals
- Team news can be crucial and it's definitely an edge we have over the bookies – they don't have a clue who's playing when compiling the odds. Twitter is essential for team news
- Over 1.5 first-half goals
- Over 3.5 and 4.5 match goals
- Depending on team news, teams to Win and HT /FT
- As I said above, the bookies can only go by form and results, they don't know if a side is going to play 7 first-team players or if a side is taking just the U18s to an away match.
- One thing you will see is prices shorten – I've seen me post an Evens tip in the morning and it's cut to 1-6 come kick-off
- I'll often receive word early on a Monday if sides are going strong and it paid dividends last season – just like this one when Airdrie hammered Albion Rovers.
Teams to Back:
Ross County have been incredible for goals for years now and Dundee United play a high percentage of first-team players in their matches. Motherwell, Livingston and Airdrie should also be good to back, especially for goals.
Team news and insider info is crucial – here's to another great season betting on this league.
Two games of note for today – will post in the morning.
- Ross County Res vs Motherwell Res (2pm) – Over 3.5 match goals 4/5 (Skybet)
- Airdrie Res vs Albion Rovers Res (7.45pm) – Airdrie HT/FT 10/11 (Bet365