IT was party time on Leicester on Monday as they paraded the trophy through the city centre.
And it was party time for many fans who won thousands backing their side at fanciful prices to win the Premier League.
William Hill have paid out their final customer who had backed Leicester at 5000-1, taking his total winnings to just over £78,000 from his £20 bet.
The customer from the Burnage area of Manchester placed the bet in August but was talked into cashing in £10 of the bet by family members.
“We believe this customer has been on a family holiday with some of the winnings and you have to wonder if they discussed the early cashout over their champers and lobster,” said William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams.
Another William Hill customer, Leigh Herbert, has now collected a total of £20,680 from his £5 bet. Similarly, he was talked into cashing out £2 of his bet by his family and fiancee.
He said: “Cashing out was defiantly the right thing to do but the honeymoon destination has been downgraded as a result!”
The days of any Premier League side being offered at 5000-1 are all but over at William Hill but the firm have produced three doubles that only the maddest punters will back.
5000-1 – Burnley to win the league and Andre Gray top scorer.
5000-1 – Middlesbrough to win the league and Jordan Rhodes top scorer.
5000-1 – Watford to win the league and Odion Ighalo top scorer.
EPL 2016-17 Winner: 7/4 Manchester City, 9/2 Arsenal, 9/2 Chelsea, 7/1 Manchester United, 7/1 Tottenham, 9/1 Liverpool, 25/1 Leicester, 80/1 West Ham, 100/1 Everton, 100/1 Southampton, 500/1 Stoke, 750/1 Bournemouth, 750/1 Crystal Palace, 750/1 Middlesbrough, 1000/1 Burnley, 1000/1 Sunderland, Swansea, 1000/1 Watford, 1000/1 West Brom.
Leicester The 5000-1 Story:
- William Hill have paid out £3m.
- William made a £2.2m loss on EPL – 10 times their previous worst result.
- William Hill took 25 bets at 5000-1 – 13 were in the shops and 12 online.
- The largest bet at 5000-1 was £20 from a retail customer in Manchester.
- The smallest bet at 5000-1 was 5p (returns £250) and was placed by a female customer in Edinburgh.
- William Hill estimate the bookmaking industry has lost more than £15m on the result.
- William Hill’s biggest individual winner is a customer from Guildford in Surrey who placed £75 at 1500-1 –£112,500.
- The biggest odds that have ever been paid out before by William Hill are 2500-1 to Peter Edwards who backed his 18-month-old grandchild to play football for Wales in 1999. His grandson, Harry Wilson, made his international debut in 2013.