146th Year of The National Hunt Chase
- 4.50 p.m.
- 4 miles
- Stamina-sapping test for novice chasers
- Only amateur jockeys are allowed to take part
This one is a real slog over 4 miles which is an unusually long race and will test the stamina of these generally younger chasers. None of them will have run over this sort of distance before so it’s a step into the unknown and we can only look for indications in 3 mile races that they are likely to stay the extra distance. Breeding can also be a helpful indicator.
Crucially, the jockeys in this race can make a big difference because some of the amateur jockeys like Derek O’Connor and Nina Carberry are amateur in name only and are miles better than their counterparts which is no disrespect to the other amateurs.
There has been a lot of talk for Minella Rocco (ridden by Derek O’Connor) but that is now reflected in quite a short price in what could be an open race so I don’t think he has much value about him. Likewise, Noble Endeavour from the Gordon Elliot yard is ridden by the useful Jamie Codd but has also shortened as a result and I’m not sure his form justifies the current price.
One that I think could be cracking value is VICENTE at a juicy 16/1. His sire is Dom Alco so he is bred for staying trips like this and is the best horse on official ratings. Will Biddick is a perfectly good amateur jockey and I was surpised to see the horse available at this price. His poor round of jumping last time out (and some previous jumping errors) might be the reason for that but I suspect that the return to better ground should bring out some improvement and the stable have now had a couple of months to work on his jumping. If he can improve on that side of things and he gets into a rhythm he will take some beating.
- VICENTE – 1pt each way at 16/1 (Ladbrokes)
Top Betting Offers for this Race:
- Get your money back as a free bet if your horse finishes 2nd Claim BetBright offer here
- Get your money back as a free bet if your horse finishes 2nd Claim Paddy Power offer here
- Back a winner on Channel 4 at 4/1 or above and get a RISK FREE bet on the next Channel 4 race Claim bet365 offer here
- Get your money back if your horse finishes second to a Willie Mullins trained horse Claim BetVictor offer here