EURO 2020 will be the biggest betting event of the year and along with the usual individual games, outrights, group betting and top scorers, there are usually a whole range of think-outside-the-box special bets.
There's nothing punters like more if they can get an edge on the bookies and there have been some spectacular wins over the years in tournaments with the enemy simply massively overestimating or underestimating tournament totals.
Go For Goals
There are 51 matches at the tournament and the big ponder could be how many are disallowed by the dreaded VAR for totals.
UEFA's VAR appears to be a lot less fussy than the thoroughly depressing English version and disallowed offside goals by armpit hair are unlikely to happen.
Bet365 are offering evens for over 129 goals in the tournament and that must have a chance with attacking football looking more likely these days than in plenty of tournaments of the past.
Low key referees
The disciplinary side of things are always fascinating, but unlike in previous tournaments, there doesn't appear to be any major crackdowns in any particular field.
Indeed, referees may be under pressure not to ruin games by throwing cards around like confetti. The referee group at Euro 2020 are highly experienced and know what's at stake – you only had to look at Champions League referee Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz, who was widely praised for sensible refereeing rather than resorting to using cards as a weapon.
It wouldn't be a surprise if there are less cards than usual – two that are of interest are under 175 yellow cards with bet365 at a tempting 11/4 and under six red cards with the same firm at evens.
Scots can make history
There are plenty of team markets too and if we can indulge ourselves in Scotland for example, there are a couple of prices of interest. Unibet's 2/1 for Scotland to reach the Last 16 is begging to be backed.
Without wishing to put the kiss of death on Steve Clarke's men – they couldn't have handpicked two teams at Hampden they would rather play. The Czech are average and the Croatians are ageing and have never beaten the Scots in five attempts.
Remember, third place could be enough too.
McGinn the main man
John McGinn plays further forward for Scotland, has a delicious knack of scoring goals from midfield and is begging to be backed at 6/1 to be top scorers for the Scots.
For a real outsider, how about the Netherlands not to get out of their group at 25/1 with Betway?
Dutch of trouble for De Boer
The Dutch look in disarray and manager Frank de Boer looks out his depth. Despite being drawn in a relatively easy group with Ukraine, North Macedonia and Austria, it wouldn't be unlike the Dutch to implode.
Euro 2020 Specials Bets
- Over 129 total goal evens bet365
- Under 175 total yellow cards 11/4 bet365
- Scotland to reach Last 16 2/1 Unibet
- John McGinn top Scotland scorer 6/1 Unibet
- Netherlands not to qualify from group 25/1 Betway
Euro 2020 Previews
Our Euro 2020 Previews are almost complete. SlipsTips, KevMac and Mark Walker have looked at several angles of approach ahead of the big kick-off so don't miss their thoughts on where to place your hard-earned cash on the ante-post markets.
- Euro 2020 Tips: Group A – Wales Face Tough Route to Knock-Outs
- Euro 2020 Tips: Group B – Belgium To Dig Deep for Group Win
- Euro 2020 Tips: Group C – De Boer’s Men Have The Goal-den Dutch
- Euro 2020 Tips: Group D – Scots 6/4 to Make Some History
- Euro 2020 Tips: Group E – Spanish Eyes On Top of the Table
- Euro 2020 Tips: Group F – Ronaldo Still Key for Portu-goals
- Euro 2020 Tips: Group Stage Accumulator Bets
- Euro 2020 Tips: Player of the Tournament Predictions
- Euro 2020 Tips: Tournament Specials – Scots Can Break the Mould
- Euro 2020 Tips: Outright Winner – Formidable French The Ones to Beat