COMPLETION (2.50) is a typical William Haggas improver and the three-year-old can lift the Amix Silver Bowl at Haydock.
This is one of the early-season’s most competitive mile handicaps and Completion beat a bang in-form rival, Poet’s Prince, in a tight finish at Redcar on fast ground. Mark Johnston’s runner-up won next time at Chelmsford City and ran a stormer at York when chasing home stablemate Communique, conceding 6lb.
Completion hasn’t been unduly clobbered by the handicapper and only a lot of rain would dampen enthusiasm. Crack On Crack On was the other one at the shortlist.
In the opener, Jim Goldie has fair ew prospects with EUCHEN GLEN (2.15). He ruined his chance by pulling too hard at Chester last time, finishing seventh, two places behind Byron Flyer. Euchen Glen has a 3lb pull and beat that horse on similar terms in the Shergar Cup Stayers at Ascot last summer.
At Goodwood, the Haggas-trained Society Power bids for a five-timer in the Class 2 handicap over seven furlongs and is a must for any short-list, despite a 6lb rise for his latest success at Ascot.
Fourth horse Fennaan has a chance of overturning that form on today’s revised terms but ZAP (2.30) could be the value bet in another open affair. Richard Fahey’s representative was just denied by stablemate Clubbable at York’s Dante fixture and that appears strong form.
The 1m 6f handicap features some familiar names and KOEMAN (4.20) should go well at an each-way price.
Mick Channon’s stayer scored on the Polytrack at Lingfield before chasing home Count Calabash at Ascot. The drying ground is in his favour and he finished third over course and distance last August.
- Haydock 2.50 – Completion ew ( 15-2, Ladbrokes))
- Haydock 2.15 – Euchen Glen ew (6-1, William Hill)
- Goodwood 2.30 – Zap ew (10-1, William Hill)
- Goodwood 4.20 – Koeman ew (5-1, McBookie, Paddy Power, Coral, Ladbrokes)
Johnb's Saturday Tips
- Curragh 1.50 – Romme 15-2 L eachway 1/5 odds 3 places
- Chester 2.55 – The Feathered Nest 5-1
- Chester 3.30 – Star Of The East 7-1 eachway 1/4 odds 3 places
- Haydock 3.25 – Sands Of Mali 7-2 NB
- Haydock 6.15 – Teodoro 11-2 NAP