CRYSTAL KING (8.50) has been found a fine opportunity to lose his maiden tag at Goodwood this evening.
The son of Frankel has proved disappointing but his sixth to Burgonet at Newmarket last may probably sets the standard in this 1m 3f event. Runner-up Stylehunter came out to stroll home by six lengths at Lingfield.
SKY EAGLE (7.05) ran third to Reverend Jacobs and Zeelander at York having been raised 6lb for an earlier success at Wolverhampton. This step up to 1m 6f may eke out a little more improvement.
BRAEMAR (4.10) is my sole bet at Brighton, although you never know how a horse will handle its unique undulations.
Sir Michael Stoute’s three-year-old has finished runner-up on his last three starts but there was nothing wrong with his close-up defeat at the hands of Arthenia at Catterick. Braemar can give weight to Sir Mark Prescott’s favourite Altra Vita, up 6lb for last week’s hard-fought Bath success.
ANGELS (3.00) has been an early-season money-spinner for her connections and will be hard to beat at Carlisle as long as she handles this quicker ground.
A similar remark regarding the quicker terrain applies to I’M IMPROVING (4.00) as he handled soft ground so well last autumn when trouncing Sea Youmzain at Redcar. He didn’t appear to be concentrating totally on the job at Wetherby last time, hence the application of a hood, and Keith Dalgleish has saddled a couple of winners recently after a quiet spell.
RAVENHOE (6.15) goes well for young apprentice Oliver Stammers and a repeat of his Goodwood third to Pretty Jewel gives him every chance in the opener at Haydock.
- Goodwood 8.50 – Crystal King (2-1, bet365)
- Goodwood 7.05 – Sky Eagle (5-2, general)
- Brighton 4.10 – Braemar (6-4, general)
- Carlisle 3.00 – Angels (6-4, general)
- Carlisle 4.00 – I’m Improving (11-4, Paddy Power)
- Haydock 6.15 – Ravenhoe (4-1, bet365)
Johnb's Friday Tips
- Wolverhampton 2.50 – Navarra Princess 10-3 NAP/ NB (double stake)
- Carlisle 4.0 – Sempre Presto 5-2 P
- Goodwood 7.05 Arab Moon 11-1 ew 1/5 odds 3 places