LEICESTER’S Premier League title triumph is the first 5000-1 single landed in bookmaking history.
William Hill‘s previous longest-odds payouts were at 2500-1 to grandfather Pete Edwards who won £125,000 by backing grandson Harry Wilson to play football for Wales and 1000-1 to David Threlfall who, in 1969, won £10,000 by betting that man would walk on the moon before 1970.
Leicester are now 25-1 with William Hill to retain the title next season but just 16-1 to be relegated!
- William Hill are paying out over £3m on Leicester’s title triumph.
- They have made a £2.2m loss on the EPL – 10 times their previous worst result.
- The firm took just 25 bets at 5000-1 – 13 were in the shops and 12 online.
- Biggest bet at 5000-1 was £20 from a retail customer in Manchester. One Hill’s client staked £75 on Leicester when they were 1500-1 and collects £112,500.
- The smallest bet at 5000-1 was 5p (returns £250) and was placed by a female customer in Edinburgh.
- William Hill’s biggest individual winner is a customer from Guildford in Surrey who placed £75 at 1500-1 to win £112,500.
- One Leicester fan Leigh Herbert has been taunting William Hill on Twitter all season. He placed £5 at 5000-1 in early August – he has since cashed out £2 (£5680 return) and his remaining £3 will win a further £15,000.
How Leicester’s odds changed through the season
5000-1 – pre-season.
2500-1 – September 5 (international break after four matches – two wins and two draws.
5000-1 – October 3 (they beat Norwich away but comfortable win for City over Newcastle saw them drift in the betting as City became 4-6 faves).
1000-1 – October 17 (draw against Southampton).
750-1 – October 24 (win v Crystal Palace).
500-1 – October 31 (win at WBA).
200-1 – November 7 (win v Watford at home).
100-1 – November 22 (day after win vs Newcastle away).
50-1 – November 28 (draw v Manchester United).
33-1 – December 5 (win v Swansea away).
20-1 – December 14 (win v Chelsea home).
12-1 – December 27 (day after loss to Liverpool away).
25-1 – January 2 (drew with City (h) on 29th and then drew with Bournemouth home.
10-1 – January 14 (day after win over Tottenham away).
8-1 – January 24 (Leicester won on 23rd (h) to Stoke, Manchester City drew on 23rd v West Ham, Arsenal lost on 24th to Chelsea).
9-2 – February 2 (win v Liverpool).
7-4 – February 6 (win v Manchester City away – title favourites for first time).
6-4 – February 14 (loss v Arsenal (a) but City lose (h) to Spurs).
1-1 – March 14 (Manchester City draw (12th) v Norwich (a), Spurs win (13th) (a) v Villa, Leicester win v Newcastle (h) (14th).
8-15 – March 19 (win v Palace).
1-3 – April 3 (win v Southampton).
1-6 – April 10 (win v Sunderland, Spurs win v Manchester United).
1-4 – April 17 (draw v West Ham).
4-9 – April 18 – (Spurs win v Stoke).
1-6 – April 24 – (win v Swansea).
|Racebets||Get 100/1 ANY horse in the Grand National. Use code GN1001 when you join Racebets. (New customers)||CLAIM OFFER|
|William Hill||Bet £10 on the Grand National, get a £5 free bet. (New customers)||CLAIM OFFER|
|Coral||Money back if your horse falls in the Grand National. Max refund £25. (All customers)||CLAIM OFFER|
|Paddy Power||2 Up - You win! Paddy Power will pay you as a winner straight away if your team goes 2 goals up at any stage in the game. Ends Jan 9th.||CLAIM OFFER|
|Racebets||Use code WELCOME for up to £50 matched bonus when you join Racebets.||CLAIM OFFER|
|Marathonbet||Get a £20 matched bonus when you open a new account at Marathonbet. Use code TV20||CLAIM OFFER|
|Coral||Opt in to Coral's Bet & Get Club and receive a free £5 bet each week.||CLAIM OFFER|
|BetVictor||Bet £10 Get £60 when you open a new account at BetVictor.||CLAIM OFFER|