15th Feb Ace's Tips Oman Masters

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of aceventurer aceventurer 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of aceventurer aceventurer 

My selection Kiradech Aphibarnrat’s win in the ISPS HANDA World Super 6 Perth on Sunday was remarkable in that he had only decided to take part seven days previous and hadn’t had any practice rounds on the Karrinyup Country Club course. Also he had to play up the 18th in a play-off four times to make the last 24 and then five matchplay rounds and 35 holes on the Sunday.

This week the European Tour moves to the sultanate of Oman for the first time, the 44th different country to have held a European Tour tournament. Opened in 2012 the Al Mouj Golf stretches across six kilometres of coastline, flanking the Indian Ocean.
    The Muscat course was designed by Greg Norman and is Oman’s first links golf course. Plenty of water hazards, natural dunes an lush grass makes this a stunning location. Although it’s not a true links played well on links courses will come in handy.

Al Mouj Golf, Championship Course: 7342 yards, Par 72
    Although I said earlier that the course was a links-style course, you also have to consider form in the Middle East. Richie Ramsay has a good record on links courses, with two top 4s at the Alfred Dunhill Links, second last year at the Irish Open. He also had top 6s at the Castle Stuart (2016) and La National in France (2011), which has a close resemblance to a links course. His GIR stats are very good, infact it is probably the strongest part of his game so this will suit him. He has mentioned on twitter that his game is in a very strong place at the moment so
    GIR: 77.8% (7th) Putts per GIR: 1.774 (138th)
    At the beginning of the month I tipped Alexander Levy for the Maybank Championship after good displays in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Unfortunately it didn’t come off for him as he finished down the board. However he has had good results around the Middle East including that T6 in the Dubai Desert Classic in January, and has done well in the Scottish Open, Irish Open and Paul Lawrie’s Match Play, normally played on links courses. Obviously he will be driven on by the desire to get into the Ryder Cup team this year as it is played in Paris. I think there’s a lot to come from the Frenchman and this could be a good year for him.

GIR: 77.3% (14th) Putts per GIR: 1.677 (12th)
    1.50 ew Richie Ramsay (William Hill 16-1)
    1.50 ew Alexander Levy (Bet365 40-1)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

About MrFixitsTips  |  FAQs  |  Support  |  Contact Us  | 18+  Gamble Aware  |  Privacy Policy  | Part of the Gambla Network ©2018 12th Man Media Ltd.

All odds are correct at time of publishing and are subject to change.

Forgot your details?